8.26.2012

The Mean Green Smoothie


 
Over the last few months, I have changed a big part of my diet. I stopped drinking lots of coffee and added more greens. Substituting spinach for coffee? YES! I saw my daughter drinking a bright green drink (which I referred to as "green slime"), and she begged me to taste it. I refused because it looked like slime. The next time she made it, she had it covered so I could not see what it looked like... clever girl. I tried it... loved it... and have been making them every morning since! 

Many clients ask what in the world I am drinking when they see me sipping my green drinks in the office, so I wanted to share my recipe with you. I never thought I would get so hooked on these drinks, but they sure are tasty, healthy and easy to make! 

My family is huge on the Vitamix mixer. The Vitamix is fabulous for all types of meals, dips, desserts, fresh soups and smoothies! We make our green drinks in the Vitamix, but you can make it in just about any blender (although my personal opinion is that the Vitamix is the best!).

I don't have an exact recipe for what I drink every morning because I don't measure anything anymore... except my protein powder. There is no real science to my green madness, it's all about manipulating the taste by adding different fruits and veggies to your blender. I have learned to freeze a lot of the ingredients to get a better result. I buy apples, bananas, celery, pineapple, and cucumber and cut them into desired pieces, freeze them in baggies and have them ready for my morning green drinks. 

ENJOY! 


Here is the Green Drink that started it all. These are from my daughter, Krysten. Hopefully you will try and enjoy them! 


The Easy Green Drink 

2 cups Pineapple (Fresh is always the best!)
1 stalk Celery
2 cups Spinach
4 ounces Unsweetened Vanilla FlaxMilk (Try Good Karma Flax Milk)
2 cups ice cubes
1 scoop Vanilla Whey or Hemp Protein Powder


After about a week, I started to add some more goodies to the recipe. 


The Green Drink 

2 cups Pineapple (Fresh is always the best!)
1 stalk Celery
2 cups Spinach
1 small piece of frozen Banana
1 small piece of Green Apple
4 ounces Unsweetened Vanilla FlaxMilk (Try Good Karma Flax Milk)
2 cups ice cubes
1 scoop Vanilla Whey or Hemp Protein Powder


Then I started getting creative ... 


The Green Drink 2.0

Pineapple (Fresh is always the best!)
Celery
Spinach
parsley
ginger
kale
Banana
Green Apple
1 scoop Vanilla Whey or Hemp Protein Powder
Unsweetened Vanilla FlaxMilk (Try Good Karma Flax Milk) (about a cup)
ice cubes

I always base my green drinks off of the first recipe (The Easy Green Drink), but without measuring. There are so many easy ways to manipulate the recipe to fit your taste buds. My daughter makes a chocolate green drink that tastes like a chocolate milkshake. Here it is!


Chocolatey Green Drink:

1 small stalk Celery
2 cups Spinach (or more)
frozen cucumber
1 small piece of frozen Banana
1 cup Dark Chocolate Almond Milk* 
1 scoop Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
ice cubes

*If it is too sweet, substitute 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Almond Milk for Unsweetened Vanilla FlaxMilk (Try Good Karma Flax Milk).

No comments:

Post a Comment