8.14.2012

Cleopatra - Ancient Beauty


Last week I spent a day at the California Science Center where we visited the Cleopatra exhibit. The exhibit is the largest collection of Cleopatra era artifacts ever assembled in the U.S. It was fascinating, to say the least. I could have spent another few hours inside the exhibit if I had more time. There were so many interesting artifacts, lots of history and incredible displays. The amount of artifacts on display was above and beyond what I expected. 

Athena (BRONZE)
I don't know which part of the exhibit I enjoyed the most. I saw small statuettes, large statues, coins, jewelry, and everyday items. I also saw a tiny figure of The Goddess Athena made out of Bronze... I loved that! The history of Cleopatra is amazing. She became the queen of Egypt at only 17 years old in 51 B.C. After almost two decades in power, she took her own life. There is so much mystery of exactly how/why she killed herself. I have always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt and have visited Egypt twice. After seeing this exhibit and learning more history about Egypt and Cleopatra, I definitely would go back in a heartbeat. It's so fascinating! 

I have seen some interesting articles and documentaries that mention Cleopatra and permanent makeup... of course that would catch my attention! It is believed that Cleopatra had permanent makeup. Oddly enough, many people do not know of cosmetic tattooing or permanent makeup and its fabulous benefits. It is an art that is has been around for thousands of years. In the times of Cleopatra, permanent makeup was done quite differently. Extremely sharp objects were used to deposit pigments underneath the skin and there was no real anesthesia. I'm sure Cleopatra would have been happier and a bit more comfortable in my chair. Today, permanent makeup is done in less time and with less pain, with better tools and more precision. 

Gorgeous Jewelry 
at the exhibit. 

(necklace, bracelet
& earrings) 


No comments:

Post a Comment