8.22.2012

Sailing, Takes Me Away...

This time last year, my daughter and I took a trip of a lifetime! We had the opportunity to go sailing with a new friend of mine, who I met when I went to Morocco with a group of people. Captain Joe was his name and sailing was his game! He invited me to go sailing with him down the East Coast. Since my daughter was about to get married in September (2011), I figured that this would be the perfect bonding experience for the both of us. I asked the Captain if she could come with us so we could have some “mommy and me time!” 

We started our journey in Boston and played around town for a few days taking in all the historical sights. Then we headed to meet the boat about an hour north of Boston. We started our 7-day journey and headed south stopping each day in a new location, at a new Yacht club, with different faces and new experiences at each place. Different experiences came with different weather. We experienced every kind of weather... except snow! It was really hot... It was really cold... It was rainy... It was windy... There was even lightning, thunder, sun, and everything in between! It definitely was fun! My daughter and I noticed that all of the women at each yacht club who were sailing were a mess. They had no make up on and looked unfinished. Don’t get me wrong; yes, we were roughing it, but we still wanted to look our best. As women, we wear two accessories all the time – our hair and our face.  Roughing it doesn’t mean looking like you just rolled out of bed. 
Typically, our idea of a good blow out is ten roller brushes and a hair dryer. However, on this trip, a good blow out was having the warm wind blow through our thick locks of hair. Typically, our idea of makeup is blush, sexy, smokey eyes and some lip-gloss. However, on this trip, I still was able to achieve that look with some mascara and some lip-gloss! My eyeliner, eyebrows and lips are enhanced by permanent makeup, and the only thing I had to worry about in the morning was sunscreen and some chap-stick. I enjoyed putting a splash of bronzer on my cheeks for our dinner on shore each night. At the time, my daughter did not have any permanent makeup. She would have to wait until we docked to try to put eyeliner on so she would not wind up with black pencil all over her face from the rough ocean waves. I love what I do! I love that I can help people look great and feel great without having to deal with five pounds of makeup in their suitcase. I can rough it and still look fierce!   

We had our picture on a billboard in Times Square! So Exciting!
In Central Park
In Marblehead, MA - one of our favorite places.
Our group!
L to R
Captain Joe, First Mate Jack, Me, Krysten
All of our luggage - that didn't even fit through our cabin door!






No comments:

Post a Comment