10.02.2012

My Alaskan Cruise


I know my Alaskan cruise was awhile ago and my blog is overdue but better late than never right? Right! Have you been on a cruise before? Have you been on an Alaskan cruise? Well, I have cruised before but never to Alaska. I really wanted to visit Alaska before it melted and I am glad I did. 

I don't really have anything bad to say about Alaska itself, but I find it hard to be away from work for that long. I love my job and feel the happiest when I am in my office with my clients. While I love to travel, I can only handle being away for so long. When my daughter and I went sailing last summer, we at least docked every night and had the ability to use our cell phones - even in the middle of the ocean. The hardest part was not having phone reception, email or working WiFi. It was hard because I enjoy keeping in touch with some of my friends, family and clients while away. I also always want to be able to reach my daughter or at least have her reach me. It's amazing how much technology has a hold of our everyday lives!


Back to the beauty of Alaska. The glaciers, ice, water, mountains and everything was a sight to remember! It's a good thing we have the ability to take photos - technology once again! I went with three girlfriends of mine and we all took part in different activities. The four of us enjoyed a beautiful helicopter ride over the glaciers and a bus sightseeing tour. Landing on a glacier in the helicopter was probably the highlight of my trip. One of my girlfriends, Nancy, and I decided to go zip lining! Why? I have no idea. I love a good thrill - roller coasters, skydiving, driving on the 405 freeway in LA during rush hour, but zip lining took "thrill" to a whole new level. 

My daughter begged me not to go zip lining because of an article read about zip lining gone wrong. But, I love adventure and a great thrill and ignored her - BIG MISTAKE! While I don't necessarily regret jumping off the 200ft shaky platform (literally) I wish I had maybe educated myself a bit more on what to expect. I don't get scared easily and I was terrified beyond words. Terrified. While zipping across the forrest and trees, you are supposed to take in the beautiful sights and see the bears below you. I didn't have the opportunity to look down and all around because I was too busy making sure I wouldn't smack into the tree. Nancy, poor Nancy, got stuck in the middle of the line because she used her brake too early. It was also the biggest and longest line that she chose to get stuck on. If there was a way to slowly zip line across the beautiful trees and scary bears I think that would have been more enjoyable. 

At one point in the cruise, my daughter called (and oddly enough got through to me) and I quickly answered, "Can't talk! Playing B.I.N.G.O.! Bye!" She said she'd never thought she would hear me say that - ever! If you know me at all, you know that I don't play B.I.N.G.O. and that I would rather take a walk, go to the movies or visit with friends and family. But when there is a $2,000 prize, Hunny, I am in! I didn't win B.I.N.G.O. but had fun trying. 

Who can write a blog without mentioning the food? Well the four of us stuffed our faces for 10 days and indulged in fabulous seafood, drinks and desserts. I was good and gained about a pound - which isn't horrible. I lost it quickly from not having all that food available 24 hours a day when I got home. I missed having my daily green "slime" drinks while I was away though and the first one I had after returning home was beyond tasty. 



Would I cruise to Alaska again? Probably not, I feel like I accomplished enough there. I think everyone should see Alaska. I guess I can check that off my bucket list! 

Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Check out some of my other blogs... 

No comments:

Post a Comment