10.30.2012

Black Bean Brownies

My daughter got this recipe from a neighbor who makes delicious sweets and treats. She doesn't make just any kind of cake or brownies, all of her recipes are healthy alternatives to your everyday, fattening desserts. I have tasted two separate recipes of hers and they are both delicious. I am not able to bake much; I honestly don't have the time to cook and bake like I used to. I only have time to make my coffee, make my mean green drinks and a salad on occasion.

I don't always have a sweet tooth, but when I do I want to make it worth the calories! I love these Pumpkin Protein Pancakes that my daughter found on Pinterest and now these fabulous brownies.

She has made them for me twice, and the only difference was the type of cocoa she used.

Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup water (even better: 1 shot freshly brewed espresso) I love my NESPRESSO!
15 oz can black beans (thoroughly rinsed & drained)
1 cup pitted dates (12-14 dates)
3/4 cup Valrhona cocoa powder (purchased from Whole Foods)
1 tsp baking powder

DIRECTIONS
Line bottom and sides of a 9×9 inch square pan with foil. Mist with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In food processor or blender, puree eggs, butter, vanilla, honey (or stevia and water), and water. Add black beans and puree until no lumps remain. Add dates and again puree until smooth. (If you are having trouble pureeing, slowly add water by the tablespoon and stir with rubber spatula to lubricate the blades). Set aside. In large bowl stir cocoa powder and baking powder together. Pour blended contents into dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes.

(NOTE) The second time she made them using Trader Joe's cocoa powder and they tasted way better the first time. The Valrhona gave it a nice rich dark chocolate flavor... both were tasty, though. Also, my son-in-law thinks they have the consistency of fudge. Enjoy!  Here is the original recipe and other variations that she gives. There are tons of healthy recipes on her website... check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment