7.11.2012

Free Fallin' off of High Heels


Don't you love that feeling of taking your high heels off after a long day? I sure do! I have worn pumps for years and have tons of high heels to choose from.  I don't wear them often, but that doesn't mean I avoid wearing them all together... I pick my moments. At this point, I prefer to wear comfortable shoes most of the time... especially when I am working. 

I recently came across an article, "High Heels: Worth The Health Risk?" and had to laugh before I even continued reading. I have two friends, one a nurse and one a doctor, who have both fallen off their heels! The article is about a study that reveals that women who live in their high heels are at risk for permanent damage to their knees, back, and tendons. Heels force women to walk with all of their weight on the balls of their feet. 

The article offers tips for the high heel wearing shoe-lover:
1. Alternate Heights: If your tendon doesn't get acclimated to the same height every day, it won't shorten to a specific height. 

2. Stretch: Every day you wear heels, sit in a chair and use a yoga band or twisted sheet slung around your food. Pull the band towards you as you stretch your toes forward

3. Use commuter shoes: Especially city commuters walk a great deal on their routes to work. Use a supportive flat shoe on the unforgiving concrete of the sidewalk and save those four-inch show-stoppers for the absorbent carpets and cork floors of the office. 

4. Choose A Wedge: Any heel that offers more surface area is putting less stress on the ball of the foot, so go with a chunky heels, wedge or even platform. 

5. Add Orthotics: Even an over-the-counter shoe insole can make a tottering heel more stable -- and that can help its owner walk better

I typically take advantage of Tip #5 and add orthotics for comfort pads to the insoles of my shoes. Check out the tips and don't fall off your heels! 






No comments:

Post a Comment